A blaze sparked by a juvenile “playing with matches” Jan. 4 has displaced a family just off Park Road 4 in Burnet, investigators said.
The fire was reported at 2:10 p.m. at a rock and mortar-style residence in the 600 block of the roadway.
The occupants — comprised of two adult females, a 12-year-old boy and a five-month infant — “got out safely early in the event,” according to Burnet Fire Marshal John Erskine. One of them called 9-1-1, investigators stated.
The fire is believed to have originated in a closet, attributed to a “juvenile playing with matches,” Erskine revealed in a statement.
The family is “currently displaced but have arrangements with local family members,” he added.
Firefighters brought the fire under control in just over three hours “because of the many void spaces [on] fire and inaccessible to firefighters.”
Smoke detectors were credited as an early alert system, however, Erskine offered advice on potential added protection.
“Additionally, we would like to promote people to having working smoke alarms as this family did,” he said. “Also, the house was totaled but a residential fire sprinklers system would have saved this home.”
The reported cause of the blaze also prompted a word of caution.
“Lastly, remember that matches and lighters are tools for adults — not toys for kids to play with,” Erskine stated. “Kids, don’t touch matches and lighters.”
Assisting entities included the Burnet Fire Department, Burnet Volunteer Fire Department, the Cassie VFD, Bertram VFD, Marble Falls Area VFD, Oakalla VFD and Granite Shoals Fire Rescue.