WHEREAS, on July 8, 2020, the Executive Committee of the Llano County Republican Party (“LCRP”) convened a Special Executive Meeting to consider whether, pursuant to Rule 44 of the Republican Party of Texas (“RPT”), Governor Greg Abbott should be censured for his recent actions and Executive Orders which violate the core principles of the RPT defined in the Preamble of the Party Platform as described in Rule No. 43A; and
WHEREAS, the Platform of the RPT declares in the Preamble that we believe in the Platform and expect our elected leaders to uphold these truths through acknowledgment and action; and
WHEREAS, Rule 44 of the RPT provides that a County Executive Committee may by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those present and voting, adopt a resolution censuring a Republican public or party office holder representing all or a portion of that County for three (3) or more actions taken during the current biennium in opposition to the core principles of the RPT defined in the Preamble of the Party Platform as described in Rule No. 43A, and that said resolution may request that the offending official be penalized under the resolution; and
WHEREAS, the first provision of the core principles provides that we support the strict adherence to the original language and intent of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitutions of the United States and of Texas; and
WHEREAS, the third provision of the core principles provides for preserving American and Texas sovereignty and freedom; and
WHEREAS, the fourth provision of the core principles provides we should limit government power to those items enumerated in the United States and Texas Constitutions; and
WHEREAS, the fifth provision of the core principles provides that we support personal accountability and responsibility; and WHEREAS, the ninth provision of the
WHEREAS, the ninth provision of the core principles provides that we support a free enterprise society unencumbered by government interference or subsidies.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT KNOWN AS FOLLOWS, that after due and careful consideration, the LCRP’s Executive Committee hereby FINDS AND CONCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
1. That Governor Greg Abbott violated the first provision of the core principles by suspending statutes enacted by the legislature via executive order in violation of Article 1 Section 28, Texas Constitution, and by creating law via executive order in violation of the separation of the powers of government under Article 2, Section 1, Texas Constitution;
2. That Governor Greg Abbott violated the third provision of the core principles by failing to preserve the freedoms of Texans when he enacted executive orders that resulted in the denial of due process to millions of Texans, constituted takings without just compensation by closing businesses without just cause, denied the people the right to freedom of assembly, and imposed onerous mandates, fines, and imprisonment upon the people;
3. That Governor Greg Abbott violated the fourth provision of the core principles, by exceeding the powers of government limited under the Constitutions of the United States and of the State of Texas;
4. That Governor Greg Abbott violated the fifth provision of the core principles, by limiting the ability of local hospitals and medical providers to determine the appropriate manner in which to operate, and mandated how people should conduct their personal interactions against their will; and
5. That Governor Greg Abbott violated the ninth provision of the core principles by abruptly and ruthlessly closing private businesses causing millions of Texans to face unemployment, treating certain people as “unessential,” further harassing small business owners with bureaucratic regulators, and devastating the Texas economy.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Llano County Republican Party hereby CENSURES Governor Greg Abbott for violating three (3) or more of the core principles of the Republican Party Platform; that the LCRP requests that this censure be considered and sustained by the delegates of the 2020 Republican Party State Convention assembled; and that the LCRP requests all available penalties be levied upon the offending officeholder.
RESOLUTION PASSED AND DONE THIS 8TH DAY OF JULY, 2020 BY A VOTE, IN EXCESS OF TWO-THIRDS OF THOSE PRESENT AND VOTING, OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF THE LLANO COUNTY REPUBLICAN PARTY.
Douglas W. Sanders, Chairman, LCRP
Janet Mayne, Secretary, LCRP