Joppa

Wed
09
May

Joppa, Russell Fork marker dedication Saturday

Contributed/Rachel Bryson
The old iron bridges over North Fork and Russell Fork will be the site of historical marker dedications this Saturday, May 12. The bridges were built more than 100 years ago with proceeds from bond sales approved by county residents.

By Savanna Gregg

Burnet Bulletin

A years-long dream will finally come to fruition for the community of Joppa and the whole of Burnet County on Saturday, May 12. The Russell Fork and North Fork bridges in Joppa will receive their well-deserved Texas Historical Registry recognition at two dedication ceremonies which will be held at the bridges' locations.

The North Fork Bridge, also known as the Joppa Bridge, was built in 1907 and is located at the intersection of County Roads 210, 272, and 200. The Russell Fork Bridge, built in 1911, is located two miles south of the Joppa church on County Road 272.

After the construction of the railroad in the area, the demand for certain goods grew, and the two bridges were built to provide inhabitants with a safe, efficient path to their destinations after inconveniences like flooded low-water crossings in inclement weather.

Subscribe to RSS - Joppa